Monday, March 17, 2014

100 Blocks

I have switched gears from my on going machine embroidery project to another item on my 2014 list.  This past week I have started a quilt along (QAL)  with a few of my OKCMQG members.  Jemellia organized this QAL using Tula Pink's book: City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks.  We are meeting once a month at her very lovely studio Je's Bend, which is like walking into a quilty "I Spy" experience.  I left with a Pantone tin and a block scrap of fabric to practice free motion quilting.  It was a great time where I did more cutting then sewing, but who says you have to sew.  The cutting momentum continued through the OKCMQG sew day over the weekend where I did more cutting.

I decided to use a pre cut layer cake since the blocks are scrappy and finish at 6.5 inches.  This gave me a good variety of fabric to choose from along with a few other bonuses the Wren and Friends fabric line by Moda offered.  I wanted a brown background for this fabric so I'm using a brown dot fabric as my dark in all of the block.  I keep forgetting to get the name when I go to the quilt store where I bought it.
Cutting blocks at OKCMQG sew day.  I did not sew a stich, but I was not the only one.
Others were doing needle work and swapping projects along with sewing.
Love my wonder clips and Post-it tabs to keep what I'm cutting organized. 
.
Saturday was National Quilting Day.  Our local shops were offering discounts or double shopping stamps.  I picked up coordinating Wren and Friends cream and tangerine border fabric to fussy cut for a few blocks that have a feature cut.

Here I am with doing a little chain sewing.


Block number one done.

Here are six completed blocks laid out on Kona Solid Chestnut which I think looks pretty good.   I skipped around in the first group of blocks as I hope to have a few more coordinating solids to add.
That's it until next months meet up.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty blocks! I need to catch up...have 10 blocks made so far....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I think I picked a good layer cake. My solids are on the way.

    ReplyDelete